Sunday, May 29, 2011

"One of the greatest tragedies of life....

... it seems to me, is when a person classifies himself as someone who has no talents or gifts." A strong statement from Elder Mavin J. Ashton.

My next Relief Society lesson is on talents. So it's been on my mind, swirling around, making me wonder about myself. I have lots of talents...it's the developing part I stink at. I do not think of myself. or refer to myself as a perfectionist (someone recently told my mother-in-law that they felt "perfectionism" was one of Satan's greatest tools against lds-women. perfectionism doesn't know how to ask for help, it gives no room for error, or more importantly compassion. Yet, I still feel my talents held back, or rather avoided/procrastinated/anxiety filled, because of some idea that wiggled it's way into my brain. For instance, I love to write. Always have. If you ever read any coming of age stories for girls, a fair share of them celebrate a female protagonist that fancies herself becoming a writer. So because I read those, and I'm the female protagonist of MY life...here I am once again decided I SHOULD write a blog.

The problem? I think I could write all day. And I have a very big problem staying!) on topic. (OBVIOUSLY!!! Cuz this was going to be on talents, and now its all about my insecurities in starting a blog!) I'm very good at thinking/writing/talking about things, ie the gospel, mothering, marriage, etc...and I want to be more of an actual DOER (my favorite conference talk was the one of doing and being: I refer to it (at least once a day) as the doobee-doobee talk).

Well...I COULD write all day, IF my kids would let me. Which they won't. Right now there's a diaper change with my name on it. Sooo instead of re-reading and editing this post and realizing how all over and rambling it is, I'll just finish posting the rest of the quote that inspired this and go back to life.

Elder Ashton's awesome list of "Talents" you may not have thought of before...

"Let us review some of these less-conspicuous gifts: the gift of asking; the gift of listening; the gift of hearing and using a still, small voice; the gift of being able to weep; the gift of avoiding contention; the gift of being agreeable; the gift of avoiding vain repetition; the gift of seeking that which is righteous; the gift of not passing judgment; the gift of looking to God for guidance; the gift of being a disciple; the gift of caring for others; the gift of being able to ponder; the gift of offering prayer; the gift of bearing a mighty testimony; and the gift of receiving the Holy Ghost.

We must remember that to every man is given a gift by the Spirit of God. It is our right and responsibility to accept our gifts and to share them. God’s gifts and powers are available to all of us."

http://lds.org/ensign/1987/11/there-are-many-gifts?lang=eng

0 comments: